These were definitely the least favourite of my CNY cooking expedition. My memory of hup to soh is texture like that of peanut cookies. I remember mum’s were melt-in-your-mouth but mine were crunchy. If anything good came outta making these cookies, it was that I’ve discovered how to make cookies that are close to those of Famous Amos! Krys reckons I should use oil instead of butter as oil’s the one that provides the melt-in-your-mouth texture. Oh well, if anyone has the right recipe, I’d be happy to hear of it.
- 185 gm butter
- 220 gm icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs
- 395 gm flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 110 gm walnut, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cream butter, and icing sugar till light and creamy. Add vanilla and mix well. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and flour together.
- Stir in sifted ingredients to butter mixture, mix in chopped walnuts.
- Shape into balls and make a dent in the centre. Bake for 20 minutes or till golden.