Before Alan made this dish for me, I always thought there were only a couple of things I could make with savoy cabbage – stir fried with garlic and mince or boiled in soup. Once again, this was originally from Jamie Oliver🙂 (yes, yes, I know…we are starting to look like Jamie freaks!). Jamie’s original recipe had chillies and lime with it as he made it when his wife was pregnant and it was her favourite dish. When Alan first made this, I joked and said I might not like it since I wasn’t pregnant🙂 ! Since that first time, this has become one of our favourites and whenever I buy savoy cabbage and mince, I’d definitely make it. Even CY who hates vegies has nothing to complain about.
- Savoy cabbage
- Chicken and/or pork mince
- Soy sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Salt, sugar and pepper
- Shaoxing wine
- Corn flour
- Season the mince with the above seasonings for at least 1 hour.
- Peel the cabbage piece by piece and wash it. Bring a pot of water to boil and add the cabbage so it softens.
- Run the cabbage under cold water and drain it. Put a spoonful of mince at the end of the cabbage stem and wrap it up. Repeat with remaining cabbage and mince.
- In the meantime, bring a wok filled with water to boil. Place stuffed cabbages onto a bamboo steamer and place in the wok to steam.
- Remove steamer from wok when a fork inserted into cabbage comes up clean (approximately 20-25 minutes).
- Serve with a mixture of soy sauce and black vinegar or chilli sauce.