Once again, my apologies for being MIA for awhile. You know how people always say “Don’t wish too hard…you never know it might just happen to you..!” For many years, I’ve been complaining about how none of my friends from M’sia ever come tassie to visit me. Well, my wish came true! In just a short span of 2.5 weeks, I’ve had 2 of my close friends come visit me and I have had everything but free time for myself!
This here is one of my all time favourites (and I believe it applies for a lot of people out there!). It’s commonly served at yum cha (dim sum) places and is great eaten on its own, dipped with some sauce (chilli especially) or stir fried. If you were to go to the asian countries, it’s more commonly called carrot cake because the literal translation of radish from chinese is white carrot. I made it once for a Taste of Asia event at church and told everyone it was carrot cake. The aussies gave me a funny look and were really apprehensive as this definitely wasn’t their kind of carrot cake! However, everyone who had it wanted more of it and the praises just kept coming in!
- 550g shredded white radish
- 125ml water
- 25g dried shrimps, soaked, roasted and chopped finely
- 300g rice flour
- 50g ‘tung mien’ or tapioca flour
- 650ml water
- Chicken stock granules
- Ground black pepper
- Combine radish and water in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until radish is soft and the liquid has evaporated.
- Add in dried shrimps, and watery rice batter. Mix in seasoning stir the mixture well.
- Cook mixture for two to three minutes over medium low heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture turns to a thick paste.
- Pour the paste into a greased 20cm to 21cm square cake tin. Smoothen the surface with a spatula. Place it in the steamer and steam over high heat till set.
- Remove the cake and allow it to cool thoroughly before cutting into slices.
- Shallow fry the radish cake slices and serve with chilli sauce.
- Red chillies
- Spring onion
- Lime zest and lime juice
- Lemon juice
- Salt and sugar
- Slice radish cake into thin, 1.5 finger size slices and shallow pan fry them in oil. Drain and set aside.
- Slice the red chillies and shallots into thin slices. Thinly slice the bottom, white part of the spring onion, as for the top, green part, cut them into bigger chunks.
- Mix the lime zest, lemon juice, salt and sugar together.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the shallots till golden brown. Toss in the chillies and spring onions. When fragrant, toss in the radish cake and lemon juice mixture. Stir fry it well.
- Dish it up and squeeze lime juice over it just before serving.