One of my favourite places in Tassie for medium-heavy “snacks” is the Margate Train. Sadly, I think they’ve just changed hands or something. A couple of weeks ago when we brought a visiting friend there, I was greatly disappointed with the service and quality 😦 . Anyway, 9 out 10 times when we visit the train, I’ll opt for sweet pancakes (my favourite being the blueberry pancake), and Alan being a guy would go for a savory (his favourite being the smoke salmon). There was however one time when I decided to go against my norm and try a savory chicken option. It was awesome! I was so inspired, I decided to come home and recreate this in my own kitchen. Since then, this has been one of those meals I’d whip up when I’m outta ideas or short on time.
- Self-raising flour
- Salt and pepper
- Bacon strips
- Bananas, sliced
- Chicken breast, sliced thinly
- Chilli powder, optional
- Pepper and salt
- Whisk batter for pancake together in a large bowl.
- Toss chicken breast with a little salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven or the grill. Line a baking tray with foil or non-stick baking paper. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a little butter to pan and coat it.
- Ladle a scoop of batter onto pan and swirl it to spread the batter evenly around the pan. Lower heat slightly.
- Immediately, top ingredients on pancake and allow bottom to set till it can be flipped over. Brown both sides.
- Remove pancake and place on baking tray. Top with cheese. Place in oven/grill to allow cheese to melt and brown a little. Sprinkle with a little chilli powder and some crack black pepper. Serve hot.