It has been nothing but busy, busy, busy the last couple of weeks. Not only was I busy with my new hospitality course at Wrestpoint, but there was CNY and one of my “son’s” birthday. Edmund is a gifted pianist and guitarist hence I wanted very much to make a cake that would be meaningful. My initial plan was to make a cake in the shape of a guitar but after much thought, it occurred to me that it was easier to make one in the shape of a piano. It took me approximately 4 days to make this cake. He likes tiramisu but I was afraid the cake would not last that many days hence I decided on my chocolate mud cake layered with mocha mousse. It was hard work but the end result however was worth it. My first 3D cake!
Chocolate Mud Cake: click here for the recipe
- 180gm white chocolate
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp gelatine
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp coffee powder
- 2 tbsp Amarula liquer
- Melt chocolate, coffee powder and cream in a double boiler. Remove and leave to cool a little
- Place 1 tbsp boiling water in a bowl and sprinkle gelatine over the water. Fill a big bowl with boiling water. Place the bowl with gelatine in the bog bowl and stir till dissolve.
- Stir egg yolks, alcohol and gelatine into chocolate. Refrigerate till thicken slightly.
- In the meantime, beat egg whites till stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Split cake into three layers. Place first layer into cake tin, pour one layer of mocha mousse over. Place second layer of cake and top with remaining mousse. Place last layer of cake on top and refrigerate overnight.