Summer is the best fruits season all year. Everything is in season – fresh raspberries, peaches and apricots, sweet cherries, big and juicy mangoes and so much more! On top of it all, everything is so cheap and it takes a lot of self-control for me to not buy everything! I made this cake as a Christmas gift for my Ming Court bosses. They really loved it and praised the fluffy texture of the cake and sweetness of the mangoes.
- 6 egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 egg yolks
- 100g sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 tbsp corn oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 100 ml thickened cream
- 140 g self raising flour
- Preheat oven accordingly.
- Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence till light and creamy.
- Add in corn oil, orange juice and cream. Mix well.
- Stir sifted flour and fold gently to mix.
- Pour egg yolk mixture lightly into egg white mixture. Mix evenly with a big spoon.
- Pour into ungreased pan. Bake till set.
Mango Custard Layer
- 900ml thickened cream
- 3 fresh mangoes, pureed
- 35g green bean powder
- 30g custard powder
- Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Stir till it thickens. Use immediately.
- Layer cake into 3 layers. Pour fudge over one layer, top with second layer and repeat.
- Leave to set in refrigerator.
- Reheat remaining fudge and coat the rest of the cake.
- Decorate as per preference.