What’s christmas without cranberry? Hhmm…I was wondering if there was any way I could serve something with cranberries since turkey was out. While flipping through the delicious magazine, I came across this recipe for cranberry ice cream. Cool! In the end, I decided on serving it with pavlova…sweet and sour…just the way to end one’s dinner!
Cranberry Ice Cream:
- 500g frozen cranberries
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 200g caster sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 300ml milk
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 600ml thickened cream
- Place cranberries, cinnamon and half the sugar in a saucepan with 1/4 cup water.
- Bring to boil over high heat, then lower heat to medium-low and cook, covered until berries soften. Stir occasionally.
- Leave it to cool awhile. Remove cinnamon quill and process in food processor till smooth.
- Heat milk and remaining sugar in a saucepan over medium heat till sugar dissolves.
- Whisk egg yolks in a bowl till pale. Whisk milk into egg yolk mixture till combined well.
- Return mixture to saucepan and heat over medium heat till it thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add in the alcohol. Pour custard into a bowl and allow it to cool. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Churn cream and custard in an ice cream maker according to maker’s instructions. Fold in cranberries, pour into tupperware and freeze.
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/3 cups caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl till soft peaks form. Add sugar, bit by bit, beating constantly till very stiff and glossy. Beat in the cornflour. Fold in the vinegar.
- Spoon mixture onto baking paper in spoonfuls. Shape into small meringue pie shapes.
- Bake till slightly brown and crisp on the outside. Leave it to cool in oven with door ajar.
Mixed Berry Coulis
- Frozen mixed berries
- Place frozen mixed berries and sugar in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Stir until it thickens and berries softens.
- Serve pavlova with ice cream drizzled with mixed berry coulis.