It was Krystal’s birthday this week and following tradition, CY with my assistance would make her a cake. I asked her to pick a cake from my new cake book and she chose orange poppy seed cake. However, CY refused to make it for her as he does not like anything citrusy. So, I said I’ll make them for her as cupcakes so she could bring it to work for her tea break. I’ve never had orange poppy seed cake before and this was also my first time baking it hence I didn’t know what to expect of the taste. I didn’t really like my first taste of it as it left a funny after taste in my mouth. After I creamed some of them and brushed some of them with orange syrup, the taste was perfect!
Orange Poppy Seed Cake
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup milk
- 185g butter, softened
- 2 oranges – just the grated rind
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Combine milk and poppy seeds in a bowl, set aside to stand for 20 minutes.
- Beat butter, rind and sugar with an electric mixer till light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in flours, almond meal, juice and poppy seed mixture.
- Fill cupcake baking paper with cake mixture and bake till set.
Cream Cheese Filling
- 115g Philly cream cheese
- 115g butter
- Icing sugar
- Make sure cream cheese and butter is at room temperature.
- Combine cream cheese and butter and beat with electric mixer till smooth.
- Add icing sugar gradually till it meets your taste.
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir over medium heat till sugar dissolves.
- Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and allow it to simmer for a further 2-3 minutes till it thickens.
- Divide the cakes into two batches. One batch for cream cheese filling, the other to be brushed with orange syrup.
- Cut a circle from top of each cake and remove it. Pipe cream cheese filling into each of them. Top with walnut.
- Brush the other cakes with orange syrup. Arrange mandarin oranges on top and brush with orange syrup.
- Cut the skin of an orange into thin slices and simmer with remaining orange syrup. Use it to decorate the cupcakes.