Another first timer for me – my first birthday cake by Krystal! Told you this year was a special birthday for me….2 people made cakes for me for the first time ever! She was s proud of herself…so was I! Except for colouring the sugarpaste for her, she wouldn’t allow me to lift a finger! She didn’t even allow me to open the refrigerator as she wanted it all to be a surprise!
This cake is a bit different as it doesn’t use flour but uses almond meal instead. I really liked it but Krystal didn’t as it wasn’t “cakey” enough for her. I have to agree it’s not very “cakey” but should be described as more like a brownie than a cake..maybe that’s why I liked it 🙂 . I’ve decided I’m going to use this recipe for all my future brownies..hehe… 🙂 .
- 200g bittersweet chocolate
- 100g butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- Vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl. Whisk in egg yolk, vanilla essence and 1/2 the sugar.
- Then fold in almond meal.
- Whisk egg whites and remaining sugar in another bowl till stiff peaks.
- Spoon a large scoop of chocolate mixture into egg white and gradually fold in.
- Fold in remaining chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into prepared cupcake moulds and bake for 20-25 minutes, or till set.
- Leave to cool. Frost with cream cheese frosting and decorate as per preference.