My mum got me this Favourite Asian Recipes book when she visited some time ago. It’s got recipes from all over Asia, ranging from sushi to pad thai etc etc. I was just flipping through it and came across this recipe. I honestly do not know the origin of this dish but according to Alan he’s seen it served in some Chinese restaurants in Penang. It looked really appetizing so I thought I’d give it a go. However, mine came out nothing like the book! Haha! Unknowingly, I created my own version! :p
- Dried vermicelli (mee hun)
- Chicken thigh
- Chinese mushroom
- Green beans
- Tofu, cut to strips
- Fish sauce
- White vinegar
- Chilli sauce
- Soak vermicelli in hot water for 1 minute. Drain and let dry.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add vermicelli in batches and deep fry. Then deep fry tofu.
- Leave a little bit of oil in wok. Fry garlic and ginger till fragrant. Add mushroom, followed by chicken. Lastly throw in the beans and prawn.
- In a bowl, mix seasoning together for sauce. Pour into wok and simmer with ingredients. Bring to boil.
- Turn off the heat. Toss in fried tofu and vermicelli. Mix well.
- The sauce was sourish with a hint of spiciness in it. You can fresh chillies to give it and extra taste.
- If you don’t want to toss in vermicelli, then you can put in on a plate and top it with the meat and stuff.