I’ve always liked cakes with light, fluffy textures. They are easier on your digestive system and does not fill you up easily. Pandan Chifon Cake has always been one of my favourites. My first few attempts were really horrible. Many people would tell you that chiffon cakes are one of the hardest to make as it is not easy to get the fluffy texture required. I tried many recipes but none was up to the standard I wanted. I would spend hours reading through different recipes and comparing techniques used to create the fluffy texture. FINALLY, I discovered a recipe which in my opinion was the best thus far. Nowadays, all my chiffon/sponge cakes are made from this recipe and they are modified accordingly.
- 6 egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 egg yolks
- 100g sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 tbsp corn oil
- 2 tbsp pandan juice
- 100 ml thick coconut milk
- 140 g self raising flour
- Preheat oven accordingly.
- Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence till light and creamy.
- Add in corn oil, pandan juice and thick coconut milk. Mix well.
- Stir sifted flour and fold gently to mix.
- Pour egg yolk mixture lightly into egg white mixture. Mix evenly with a big spoon.
- Pour into ungreased pan. Bake till set.
Pandan Fudge Icing:
- 600g coconut milk
- 80g caster sugar
- 25g green bean powder
- 20g custard powder
- 1/2 tsp pandan flavouring
- Dessicated coconut
- Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Stir till it thickens. Immediately coat cake with the fudge. Decorate with dessicated coconut.