- 400 ml campbell fish stock (or you can make it from scratch yourself)
- 200 ml dry riesling
- 1 bouquet garni
- 15 gm butter
- 15 gm plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tsps tomato paste
- 1 tsp English mustard
- Tarragon, finely chopped
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp brandy
- Salt & pepper
- Bring fish stock, wine and bouquet garni to a boil in a saucepan. Cook until it has reduced to approximately 200ml.
- In another saucepan, melt butter till it is bubbling. Add the flour and whisk until it colour changes till a light brown.
- Remove the butter mixture from heat and slowly whisk in milk till smooth.
- Return to the heat, add tomato paste, mustard and pepper, bring to a boil. Simmer till it thickens.
- Remove the bouquet garni from the stock and pour the stock into the sauce.
- Stir in the tarragon, cream and brandy and bring it to simmer over medium heat. It is ready when the sauce thinly coats the back of a wooden spoon. Season according to taste and serve.
- A bouquet garni is made out of a bunch of herbs tied together. A classic bouquet garni has bay leaves, thyme, parsley which is then wrapped in a length of celery or leek and tied together.
- Prawns, de-shelled
- Thermidor sauce
- Lemon juice
- Bring a pot of water with a pinch of salt to boil. Add linguine and cook.
- Drain linguine and toss with olive oil.
- Toss pasta, thermidor sauce and prawns in a pan. Cook till prawns are just cooked.
- Dish up and serve with a squeeze of lemon juice.