I was first introduced to this cake 2 years ago when I was preparing for an event at church – Taste of Asia. While experimenting with various asian desserts, Ryan suggested a green tea cake. In order to cater to the australian taste buds, I layered it with cream cheese frosting. The response received from the Australians at church was beyond expectations as it’s never occurred to them to make a green tea cake.
Green Tea Sponge Cake:
- 6 egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 egg yolks
- 100g sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 tbsp corn oil
- 2 tbsp hot water + 1 tsp green tea powder
- 100 ml double cream
- 140 g self raising flour
- Preheat oven accordingly.
- Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence till light and creamy.
- Add in corn oil, green tea and cream. Mix well.
- Stir sifted flour and fold gently to mix.
- Pour egg yolk mixture lightly into egg white mixture. Mix evenly with a big spoon.
- Pour into ungreased pan. Bake till set.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 packs cream cheese, softened
- 125gm butter, softened
- Green tea (matcha) powder
- Icing sugar
- Double cream
- Whisk cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Add green tea powder and icing sugar according to taste.
- Add cream in tablespoonfuls bit by bit just to softened up mixture a little.
- Cream cake and decorate accordingly.