Alan’s birthday is next week but we had to celebrate it last weekend as he was leaving to go back to Penang for the holidays. This year I decided to make him a chocolate banana cake inspired by the one sold in Secret Recipe in Malaysia. Their chocolate banana cake is one of my all time favourite. I was initially not going to decorate it this way but when I was removing it from the cake tin, I accidentally “rip” the chocolate ganache. As a result, I had to cover my ugly edges with chocolate wafers.
Chocolate Mud Cake
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 cup strong espresso
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 300g self-raising flour
- 75g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 185g unsalted butter, softened
- 330g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 180g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 160C, and grease an 8 inch baking pan
- Mix cocoa powder, coffee, vanilla essence and 1/2 cup cold water in a bowl and whisk.
- Sift flour , bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt together.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well each time.
- Stir in melted chocolate into egg mixture.
- Add the flour and cocoa mixture alternatively into egg mixture.
- Pour into pan and bake till set (approximately 1 – 1 1/2 hours).
White Chocolate Mousse and Banana Filling
- 600ml thickened cream
- 450g white chocolate
- 3 banananas
- Melt cream and chocolate together in a medium saucepan over low heat till smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate till just cold.
- Beat with electric mixer till mixture changes to a paler colour.
White Chocolate Mousse 2 (alternative to the above recipe):
- 2 tbsp water
- Lemon juice
- 2 tsp gelatine
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 227gm white chocolate
- Combine 2 tbsp water + 6 tbsp lemon juice in saucepan. Sprinkle gelatine on top and let stand for 10 minutes to soften. Stir over low heat till gelatine dissolves. Set aside.
- Bring 1/2 cup of cream to simmer in a heavy saucepan. Remove from heat and pour over white chocolate. Stir till smooth.
- Whisk in gelatine mixture to white chocolate. Refrigerate to cool and beginning to thicken slightly. Whilst cooling, stir it often (every 10 minutes or so).
- Beat remaining 1.5 cups of cream till stiff peaks. Fold gently into white chocolate mixture.
- Layer cake with white chocolate mousse.
- 250ml double cream
- 250g dark chocolate
- Melt cream and chocolate together in a double boiler.
- Leave to cool to room temperature then refrigerate it.
- Give it a good whisk.
- Slice cake into 3 layers. Place bottom layer into a 9 inch springform tin.
- Cover with half the white chocolate mouse and top with slices of bananas.
- Top with next layer of cake and repeat above step.
- Top with the last slice of cake. Pour chocolate ganache over cake. Allow it to flow freely and it’ll cover the cake completely.
- Refrigerate to allow ganache to set. Decorate accordingly.