Nasi Lemak is CY’s favourite dish. This sambal recipe is the product of my experiment and has since become a favourite of CY. I use the same base for all my sambals and modify the taste accordingly. Whenever I make this, I’ll make a lot and bottle them up. Hence all I need is open the fridge and we can have sambal whenever we want some.
- Red chillies
- Chilli padi (baby chillies)
- Belacan (shrimp paste)
- Lime juice
- A pinch of salt
- Prawns, remove the shells
- Red onion, sliced thinly
- Peel and halve ingredients. Blend them together with a food processor or if you have a mortar you can pound them to form a paste.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add a spoonful of the ingredients and fry till fragrant, then add the sliced red onions.
- Add in prawns and scallops. Be careful not to overcook the seafood. Adjust taste accordingly with sugar and salt. Add in a little bit of water to give it a bit of gravy.
- Dish up and serve with plain rice or nasi lemak (coconut rice).