I promised to put this up last week but I’ve been so busy I haven’t had the time to. This here is Krys’s first attempt at baking a cake. It was CY’s bday a week ago and Krys decided she’d give baking a go. Since he is not a fan of cakes, it was quite hard deciding on what to bake for him. In the end, we decided to go for Coffee Chiffon as he’s coffee addict and only likes soft, fluffy cakes. Except for a small glitch when she forgot to sift the flour, the cake was not too bad for a first timer. As per most of my cakes, the recipe is taken from the Pandan Chiffon Cake but modified accordingly. I helped with the creaming and decorating as she was afraid she’d ruin the cake but I’ve to give her credit for the effort and time spent.
- 6 egg whites
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 egg yolks
- 100g sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 5 tbsp corn oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp coffee emulco
- 100 ml double cream
- 140 g self raising flour
- 200ml double cream
- Icing sugar, sifted
- Hazelnut cocoa powder
- Chocolate rice
- Fresh strawberries
- Sugar paste, coloured in choice of colour
- Silver sugar balls
- Preheat oven accordingly. Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence till light and creamy.
- Add in corn oil, coffee emulco and double cream. Mix well.
- Stir sifted flour and fold gently to mix.
- Pour egg yolk mixture lightly into egg white mixture. Mix evenly with a big spoon.
- Pour into ungreased pan. Bake till set.
- Slowly remove cake from pan. Place onto serving plate or cake board.
- Beat double cream with icing sugar and hazelnut cocoa powder till soft peaks form. Halve the strawberries. Colour the sugarpaste according to your liking and carve out whatever shape you want. Set aside.
- Cream cake and decorate accordingly.